An FDIS survey conducted in 2015 found that many fire doors across the UK suffer from severe defects: 61% of doors had problems with fire or smoke seals, while almost 1 in 6 had significant damage to the door leaf.
Fire doors are in almost every building where we work, live and sleep and they are often never given a second thought. But they must be specified, fitted and maintained correctly with compatible components that have been third-party certificated. This is the only way to ensure that the fire door performs to its intended fire rating. Every tiny detail and every split-second count.
- Fire or smoke seals missing ~ (These are vital to the fire door’s performance as they fill the gap between the door and frame when the door is closed.)
- Incorrect signage ~ (correct signage should be fitted on all non-domestic fire doors at eye level)
- Excessive gaps between the door and the leaf ~ (The gaps around the door should be less than 4mm once the door is shut.)
- Damage to the door leaf ~ (Any damage to the door will reduce its ability to withstand a fire)
- Unsuitable hinges ~ (For a standard height fire door, a minimum of three hinges should be installed to prevent the door from warping in a fire.)
MD Fire Doors can carry out a fully comprehensive inspection of all your fire doors. Upon completion of fire door and fire exit door inspections, a report is produced detailing the condition of each door and listing the areas of non- compliance, which creates a database and asset register for future on-going inspections.
To discuss your fire door requirements please contact MD Fire Doors.
We look forward to helping you.